Growing up our family had dessert almost every night of the week. Usually ice cream, but sometimes something a little more special and only after we had finished our dinner. All of our dinner. On those something special nights, my favorite was a Sara Lee All Butter Pound Cake, thawed from the freezer and served with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. I remember the cake being rich and moist. Perfect for soaking up tart juice from the strawberries.
Now made from scratch, pound cake it still one of my favorite something special desserts. It’s a simple cake, but rich and flavorful. It pairs well with nearly any sort of topping and it’s not too sweet or elaborate to justify as a mid-morning or afternoon snack.
In the recipe below I top the cake with a mixed berry sauce in celebration of the Fourth of July, but just about any fruit of the summer season would work. Serve it with grilled peaches or nectarines and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Or try fresh cherries and a vanilla simple syrup. Whatever you choose, you can’t go wrong!
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and butter and flour a 9x5" loaf pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add butter and sugar. Using a sharp knife, split open the vanilla bean down the center and scrap the seeds from each half into the mixing bowl. If you're using vanilla extract, add that to the bowl and cream together for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Beat in flour mixture in three parts, alternating with two parts sour cream.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake in oven for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a large saucepan add berries, maple syrup and lemon juice and cook over high heat until the mixture starts to bubble. Once bubbling begins, reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until the berries have burst, and the sauce thickens to a syrup like consistency, about 10-15 minutes. Let berries cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add heavy whipping cream, sugar, vanilla and salt and using the whisk attachment, whip on high speed until medium to stiff peaks form, about 1 minute.