Granola is one of those things that just makes mornings better! Crunchy, nutty, and just a bit sweet, granola is especially perfect to keep on hand for a slow or quick breakfast.
If you like granola and haven’t tried making your own batch, then you are in for a pleasant surprise! Homemade granola is not only tasty, but also affordable! I tried my first batch of granola with this recipe from Sprouted Kitchen and have since made it many, many times! I adapted the original recipe and have called it the “Granola Formula” because you can mix and match your favorite ingredients anyway you want. The granola is not only perfect on top of your morning yogurt, it also makes a great snack and tasty topping to ice cream after dinner.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl combine oats, nuts, spices, and salt.
- In a large saucepan combine brown sugar, applesauce, butter, honey, and vanilla extract over low heat. It should only take a few minutes for all the ingredients to break down and combine together.
- Pour the wet mixture over your dry oats and nuts and gently mix together until evenly coated.
- Evenly spread granola out on top of parchment paper on a cookie sheet. It’s easier to use a pan with edges so the granola doesn’t spill off the sides, but work with what you have. Bake in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so for even baking.
- Let granola completely cool before adding in dried fruit or chocolate chips. Store in a dry container such as a large mouthed mason jar! Enjoy!