Mornings are busy. I totally get it. I dream sometimes of waking up early enough to make breakfast and eat it slowly before getting ready for the day, but those dreams are usually realized on Saturday’s and coffee is the only substance that fills my stomach before I get to work during the week. Perhaps someday I will adopt the habit of early and slow mornings, but until then I’ve cooked up a wonderful substitute that fits my on-the-go mornings and also heeds the “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” wisdom.
Pack up a week’s worth of these on Sunday and you are set for delicious and healthy breakfasts that can be eaten in the car or at your desk! If you layer them correctly your granola will stay satisfyingly crunchy too! These are wonderful because they are so customizable. I personally love stirring copious amounts of cinnamon into my yogurt and a squeeze of honey before layering with fresh fruit and granola, but the list of ingredients you can add is endless!
- In a bowl stir together yogurt, your favorite spices and any sweetener you’re using such as honey or maple syrup.
- Scoop mixed yogurt into the bottom of a mason jar or other on the go container. My favorite is the 16oz. wide mouth mason jar.
- Next layer in fresh or frozen fruit, enough so that the yogurt is completely covered.
- Finally add in your granola and any other mix ins such coconut, chia seeds, flax seeds, etc…
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to eat!