Ever since we started dating Tom and I have meal planned together. It’s a Sunday ritual we sometimes enjoy and sometimes hate, but always feel is necessary for an organized week. While we are both fairly easy to please it can be challenging at times to choose a lunch we will both look forward to eating. I enjoy fresh salads for lunch. Think ripe fruits, raw vegetables and light, bright flavors. They wake me up in the middle of a long work day and keep me energized. Tom on the other hand loves savory salads. Bold spices, salty pickled vegetables and meat and cheese are his go to mixins. Neither of us hates the others favorites, but we both have our preferences!
Enter in this Kale Ceasar Salad. We both love it! Fresh kale, ripe tomatoes and a squeeze of lemon give this salad my favorite bright characteristics while crispy garlic chickpeas and shaved parmesan cater to Tom’s savory tastes. Throw in some toasted pine nuts and seared chicken breast and you’ve got yourself a healthy and filling Cesar salad, perfect for packed lunches!
How to those of you living with your significant other meal plan? I’d love to hear your thoughts below!
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and then pat dry with paper towels, trying to get as much moisture off the beans as possible.
- Toss the chickpeas with olive oil and salt and spread evenly across a baking sheet.
- Bake the chickpeas for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until a deep golden brown and crispy.
- Let chickpeas cool for 5 minutes then sprinkle with garlic powder and any other desired spices and stir to evenly coat.
- In a large bowl combine kale, chickpeas, tomatoes, pine nuts and parmesan. If serving immediately, toss with desired amount of dressing, otherwise store in refrigerator undressed.
- To serve, top with cooked chicken and enjoy!