It feels like summer is coming to an end, doesn’t it? There are wishes for fall’s arrival all over social media and here in SF it’s been a particularly cold and foggy week. I’ve started pulling out our coziest blankets and dreaming of creamy soups and spiced baked goods. But summer isn’t quite over yet. We are in fact in my favorite part of summer, the height of stone-fruit season! Fresh and juicy peaches, plump and sweet plums, nectarines, cherries and apricots! These are my favorite fruits of the year and they are abundantly available right now. If you’re like me, you always buy these beautiful fruits in bulk at the farmer’s market and sometimes have to restrain yourself from eating them before you have time to make that pie or tart recipe you were saving them for!
While there are many recipes perfect for stone fruits, one of my favorites is a crisp. It’s a fast and easy recipe. It doesn’t require the chilling or rolling out of dough and it highlights the flavors of fruit beautifully. It takes 10 minutes to assemble, 30 minutes in the oven and 10 minutes of cooling before you have a delicious dessert ready in under an hour. You can’t say that about a pie. As the days shorten and we get closer to fall, make some time to bake this easy peach crisp and savor the last moments of the season. Although I’m using peaches in this post, you can substitute with any other fruit and any other spices too! I know I will be making quite a few more of these while I have the chance!
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Toss your sliced peaches in ½ cup white sugar and if desired a pinch of your favorite spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice.
- Layer the peaches in a cast iron skillet or large baking dish.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, brown sugar, spices, salt and oats. Sprinkle the cubed butter over top and using your fingers or a pastry cutter, work the butter into the flour mixture until evenly combined and crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping over the peaches and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving. Top with fresh whipped cream or ice cream if desired!