I had intended for my first recipe post of the year to be a delicious Grapefruit Loaf Cake, but coming off the holidays I was so sick of sugar that I couldn’t bring myself to write the post! My holiday was filled with rich, delicious and well-made food but by the end of December I couldn’t remember the last fresh vegetable I had eaten and I was craving a big, bright salad. Don’t worry, the Loaf Cake recipe is still to come, but first let me share something that will help you out with your New Year’s Resolutions!
I am a firm believer that sticking to a healthy eating plan is so much easier when you make those healthy meals beautiful and delicious. In fact, I almost always fall off track with healthy eating when I’m not putting time and energy into choosing meals that are flavorful and exciting to eat! This salad fulfills both of those requirements and is so easy to pull together for a weeks worth of lunches. Start with bright winter citrus, whatever is your favorite! Here I have grapefruit, cara cara orange and blood orange paired with some easy pre-cooked beets that you can pick up in most grocery store produce aisles these days. Add quinoa or another grain to keep you full after eating and some candied walnuts or pecans. Toss with whatever dressing you have in the fridge, though, I recommend a vinaigrette and serve sprinkled with some goat cheese! Trust me, you’ll be much more excited about eating salad for lunch if it’s this one!
- Line a table or pan with parchment paper.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, combine walnuts, sugar and butter.
- Stir mixture frequently for 5-7 minutes until butter is melted, the sugar has completely dissolved and the nuts are evenly coated. Watch for burning near the end of this process.
- Once the nuts have been coated, turn them out onto the parchment paper and spread out evenly and separately.
- Allow to dry for 5-7 minutes.
- Toss arugula, quinoa, beets, citrus, walnuts and dressing in a large bowl.
- Plate your salad and top with goat cheese. Serve and enjoy!